Wednesday 16 October 2013

A Magic Faraway Tree Party

Its a bit late but I wanted to share with you Lochy's birthday party.  It was a bit of a challenge as it was on a long weekend.  I wasn't to sure who would be able to make it but we had a good turn out despite communication problems with texts on my phone, a bit hit and miss!  I was very relaxed at first but the last few hours before the party became very hectic!  The theme was Birthday Land at the top of the Faraway Tree from the book series in the Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyten.  Lochy's favourite book.

I am rather proud of Lochy's Faraway Tree birthday cake.  I was sure the chocolate tree trunk would be coveted but it turns out the lollies and icing were more appealing.  I found the very large marshmallows perfect for the clouds above the tree as in the story.

We had some games like "cat and mouse" and "duck duck goose".  Lochy was very excited to be the cat!  In the background you can see the paper flowers (thank you Pinterest) I made at least 50 of decorated around the backyard.  We had a "bubble juice garden" with long skinny bubble sticks "planted" in the dirt garden for the kids to "pick" and run around making bubbles with.  I also had some extra large play money my boys stuffed in bushes and trees.   The idea was to make it a fantasy land every little person would want to visit for their birthday (Birthday Land).

Duck Duck Goose





I think Ben perfected the making of water balloons because he made the biggest yellow bucket of water balloons for a birthday party to date!  The kids were so bedazzled by water balloons despite trying to explain by example (ok we started it) the game of water balloon toss rapidly deteriorated to water balloon war which lasted the rest of the party!  Yes I did get hit and not just by the kids!  I tried to give as good as I got but I am not the best aim.

This year I just didn't have the time to make a pinyata so had to buy the card board one.  I think it worked out heaps better value as mine always broke WAY to quickly.  Paper mache is just too flimsy as kids get older.  This card board one was just about right.  Everyone got more that one go and giving it a good bashing although I wasn't 100% sure there was enough lollies in it the kids seems pretty happy with what they got. 

Birthday boy in his top hat proud as punch!



Not long after cake everyone took their party pack of paper planter, packet of seeds, lolly, Sunflower seedling with fertiliser courtesy of a friends green thumb and went home.


Staying over that night for a first ever sleep over was Gav's best friend from school.  Lochy was excited too and they all 3 played together on the ipad/iphone. 

The next day I realised I'd completely forgotten about the blow up birthday cake ring toss game!  Ah well, it was a crazy but fun day.  There's always next year!









No comments:

Post a Comment