Wednesday 23 October 2013

Beach and backyard fun

This weekend was a bit of fun for everyone!

I went to a fermenting workshop and learned how to make Kombucha, Water Kefir, a number of fermented foods such as sauerkraut and carrots.  I even learned how to make a coconut yogurt!  I actually had some Kambucha I had been making at home but I learned not to mess with Mother Scoby to treat her with respect and to experiment the different teas with the baby scoby's instead.  Luckily we were sent home with a new scoby because I had already messed around a bit by making a 1/2 green tea and 1/2 black tea Kambucha and that's a "no no".

We tried different flavours at the workshop so I went home to bottle my green tea/black tea Kambucha and in the spirit of learning new things added Blueberry to a couple, strawberries to another, ginger to a couple and lemon and kaffir lime (a friends idea) one and left a couple plain.  The boys tried the blueberry but it wasn't popular but the strawberry was a HUGE hit.  Ginger was a winner with my mother in law and husband but we haven't tried the lemon and kaffir lime.  Cant wait.  Think I'll give blueberry a miss next time and make heaps more ginger and strawberry.  Gavin LOVED the strawberry so much he practically begged to have more.  A good sign wouldn't you say?

Ben's Grolsch bottles being put to good use.
Poor Ben was suffering a little with sore knees due to a corporate rugby game played Friday night.  I am just happy he came home relatively in one piece.  Now what do you think he does for the rest of the weekend, relax, home maintenance?  Nooo, he does the Brisbane to Gold Coast 100km bike ride on Sunday.  http://b2gc.bq.org.au/  He had a great time though and survived that as well.  The boys and I drove to the Gold Coast to pick him up near SeaWorld and stayed for the afternoon to have a play on the beach.

The water was a bit cool but once you got used to it, very fun.


The boys have no fear, look at that wave!

Love Ben's smile

A bit of a late lunch and warm up
 We had a bit of an extended weekend (although Ben had to go back to work), with a pupil free day on the Monday.  The lawn was a bit dry so it became entertainment and practical at the same time to bring out the sprinkler.  Then of course a bit of tackle when daddy came home.


Yes that is a pile up of three!

Back to school on Tuesday and then today was Gav's School Camp excursion.  I got a bit choked up as I was driving him in but he was thrilled to bits as were all the kids.  How could they not be thrilled when they were up for a few days which include a mud course, Star bush walk with torch, team activities, Outback Art, Kayaking, a movie night and heaps of games!


No comments:

Post a Comment